New Species: Obsidian

Obsidian - Laurann Dohner

A while back I added  the New Species series by Laurann Dohner to my "To Read" list on Gooreads. It took me a couple years to get to the books, but by golly I did it and boy I am happy I did. Two weeks ago I started reading the first book in the series titled Fury and plowed through them until I got to the 8th installment Obsidian. I have to admit I was hesitant starting this series. From what I had previously read on the series it seemed strikingly familiar to Lora Leigh's Breeds. I have been a fan of that series for years and didn't want to read something that had the same premises. However, I have to say that I find that I like New Species more than the Breeds. The main reason behind this, is that the settings and situations seem more believable in New Species than the Breeds. What this means for me personally is that I just have a new series to squeeze on my overflowing bookshelf in my bedroom right next to my Lora Leigh books.

Now, on to Obsidian. This book is my favorite out of the entire series, so far. I really liked how the focus of this book was taken away from the crazy fanatics that hate the New Species and the evil Mercile industries. This book primarily focused on one 880's rehabilitation after coming out of his coma. Dr. Allison Baker is there to help him heal and integrate into the New Species society and as expected fiery passion ensues between the two. 880 eventually chooses a different name, Obsidian,,and battles with his emotions about his captivity and another female that he feels like he failed. One of my favorite things about this series is that even though the men are so "alpha male", they are also very sweet towards their mates. Here's my favorite example:

"Alli?

She forced her eyes open and turned her head just enough to see his face above hers. he was tall even with her on his lap.

"I see you." He emphasized the words with emotion.

The only thing that I have to say that is semi-annoying about this series is that there is always some HUGE break in time or some major event that totally separtates the mates. It frustrates me because I just want to rush the HEA and this series does not allow for that. On the positive side of that, the reunion is to die for in this book! Obsidian is totally transformed by the end of the book and *swoons* he is so amazing.

Overall, the writing of  this book was very well done, which I have found to be a constant standard in all of the New Species novels. I am so glad I finally got to this series and will be starting the next book Shadow later today.