Dark Places - Gillian Flynn

Gillian Flynn did it again! After reading Gone Girl I thought that I would be done reading anything by Gillian Flynn. Not because the book was bad, it was quite the opposite in fact, but because I had such a strong emotional reaction to the end of the book. I wanted to throw the damn thing out the window!

However, I figured that she had to be doing something right to evoke such a response and I dove for Dark Places and I was not disappointed.

Libby Day was 7 years old when her family was slaughtered in an event dubbed “The Satan Sacrifice or Kinnakee, Kansas”. Libby was the only survivor, besides her fifteen year old brother Ben, who was charged and sentenced to prison for murdering their family. Libby has lived her life, if you could even call it a life, all by herself until she receives a letter from a secret society called the Kill Club. The Kill Club is a club that is obsessed with murders and they want Libby to talk to them about that dreadful night and hope she can help free Ben. Libby ends up going on adventures to talk to people she never thought she would willingly talk to and discovers some dark secrets along the way. Realizing that her testimony about her family’s murder may not have been what she originally believed, Libby learns the shocking truth about what actually happened on the Day farm on January 2, 1985.

I loved this book. I was enthralled from the first line:

“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it.”

Libby was one of those characters that you really wanted to like, but had such a hard time doing so. She’s damaged and not in the maybe-I-could-fix-her kind of way and so are so many of the characters in the book. It was fascinating to get the different point of views on the day of the murder and see inside of the twisted minds of a severely broken family. I didn’t have such the OMG WTF is happening reaction that I did while reading Gone Girl, but I certainly couldn’t put this book down. I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a good mystery, thriller, and psychological mess.