Shield of Winter - Nalini Singh

Synopsis

Assassin. Soldier. Arrow. That is who Vasic is, who he will always be. His soul drenched in blood, his conscience heavy with the weight of all he’s done, he exists in the shadows, far from the hope his people can almost touch—if only they do not first drown in the murderous insanity of a lethal contagion. To stop the wave of death, Vasic must complete the simplest and most difficult mission of his life.

For if the Psy race is to survive, the empaths must wake.…

Having rebuilt her life after medical “treatment” that violated her mind and sought to suffocate her abilities, Ivy should have run from the black-clad Arrow with eyes of winter frost. But Ivy Jane has never done what she should. Now, she’ll fight for her people, and for this Arrow who stands as her living shield, yet believes he is beyond redemption. But as the world turns to screaming crimson, even Ivy’s fierce will may not be enough to save Vasic from the cold darkness.…

Review

Nalini Singh long ago captivated me with the brilliant world of Psy-Changling with the release of Slave to Sensation. The complex world of the Psy and Changling races has evolved quite spectacularly over the course of 13 books and I find myself dying of anticipation between every book. I didn’t think I would love this book as much as I loved Kaleb’s book, Heart of Obsidian, but oh boy I was in for a treat!

This book had everything I have come to expect from this series. There was world building, fiercely loyal love between mates, teleporting, and visits from previously loved people (looking at you Hawke and Lucas). The romance between Vasic and Ivy was slow to burn, but it felt so good to be tortured while waiting to go up in flames. I couldn’t have seen it go any faster with how deeply embedded silence was into the Arrows. Ivy on the other hand had almost completely fractured her silence from the beginning, so instead of having to deal with that (and the frustrations with it) she was able to focus on getting her silent Arrow right where she wanted him. I loved reading about the different Arrows and discovering the multitude of new E designations. I felt some redemption and purpose for the E designated Psy’s because they finally got what they deserved and the species got an explanation of why the corruption is taking out the net and innocent Psy’s. I feel like this book gave a good resolution to the building corruption in the PsyNet and once I started this book, I forgot about everything else I was doing and devoured it in a single day.

One of the things that I loved so much about this book was that there were a lot of visits from previous characters from other books. Judd, Hawke, Sienna, Lucas, Sascha, Kaleb, and a few more I can’t think of off of the top of my head. They all put aside species differences and come together to defeat the enemy, which in this book was the corruption inside of the PsyNet. Now, I have to sit back and wait to see who the next book is going to be about and possibly re-read this entire series in my spare time, because this book reminded me how much I love this world and the people in it.