Archangel's Blade - Nalini Singh

Synopsis

Dimitri is a ruthless trained killer and the Archangel Raphael’s second hand man. He has given out brutal punishment for years and knows what it is like to push aside any ounce of humanity. It isn’t until a severed head shows up on a guild case that he realizes that his tortured past may be coming back to haunt him. As a vampire he is used to seeing such depraved things, but needs the guilds help to decipher the baffling tattoo etched on the head.

Honor is a survivor of a vicious attack where she was held captive and destroyed in the most basic ways. She has been hiding from doing her job as a hunter of the Guild, but when Guild Director Sara calls on her to decode an ancient language tattooed on a head she calls on all of her strength to get back in the game. Dimitri brings forward the old Honor, the before attack Honor, who was obsessed with him for as long as she can remember. As they solve the case of the mysterious head and find the people responsible for Honor’s destruction, they have to fight off the building attraction or be overwhelmed by the past.

My thoughts

Let me start by saying that every time I read something by Nalini Singh I don’t think it is possible for her to do any better in anything she writes after. I have been wrong every single book. This is the 4th installment of the Guild Hunter Series. So far the series has revolved entirely on Elena and Raphael’s adventures, but this book took us into the life of Dimitri, Raphael’s second hand vampire that we met in Archangel’s Blood. Dimitri is sex on a stick, dangerous, loving, loyal, and everything Honor needs.

I thought I was in love with Raphael, but Dimitri takes the cake. So far. I loved that this book included scenes some other book favorites like Illium, Venom, and of course Elena and Raphael. Both Honor and Dimitri have a complicated tortured past that they are trying to come to terms with. Honor with her kidnapping and tortured by the vilest vampires and Dimitri over the torture and slaughter of his wife and children. Yeah, there was a lot of torture in this book. They both need each other to get over their haunted pasts and I can't say much more without giving away any major spoilers. It was nice for once to see that poor Illium wasn't being hurt in this book as he has in the past books. I was happy to see that we got more of Sorrow's story since she was taken and turned. She has been a side character lingering in the background of the previous books. *Fingers crossed she gets her own book*

I don’t know how this author manages to weave such an intricate web of characters in absolute breath taking worlds, but she sure does and should keep continuing to do so. As long as she keeps writing, I will keep buying.

The plot in this book was well done and character development flawless. I can’t imagine it being any other way. I always know when I pick up a Psy-changling or Guild Hunter book that I am in for a treat. This book was no different.