Patient Zero: A Joe Ledger Novel - Jonathan Maberry

Joe Ledger is a Baltimore detective that is recruited by a super secret government agency called the Department of Military Sciences. The DMS is responsible for taking out terrorist threats, and this time they have to beat a terrorist group that made a biological weapon that turns its victims into zombies.

The author does a fantastic job of throwing you into the mix of plot line and you are introduced to the big players of this story right away. Joe is hard-core, funny, extremely likeable, badass, and sticks his humanity out to the core. He has some fascinating partners that he works with such as the mysterious Mr. Church, the kick-ass female Grace, and his best buddy therapist Rudy.

My favorite line:

“I’m not sure I could trust a man who would bypass an Oreo in favor of vanilla wafers. It’s a fundamental character flaw, possibly a sign of true evil.”

The book switches back and forth between the perspectives of the major players of this book. It begins with Joe in America and the terrorists in Afghanistan. I think it was a brilliant way to do it since I got to see how exactly this terrorist cell was working, and they had their own drama backstabbing working in their midst too. I had in my mind that this book was going to be completely about zombies, but it was more like a special ops military type of book. Don’t get me wrong, that in no way derailed from my opinion on the book, but it was more focused on the military operation that the zombies. It is just something to keep in mind if you pick it up to read it.

I really liked the science behind the virus that was used to create the zombies. It was well written and entirely believable and quite frightening since it made so much sense to me. The scientists that they used in the terrorist sections of this book were quite brilliant and terrifying since they were playing for the wrong team of people. It was entirely believable that something so awful could actually happen.

This book had it all for me. It had humor in the protagonists, mindless zombies, action, suspense, drama and backstabbing, and a subtle underlying hint of romance between Joe and Grace. Not to mention the solidarity of men in uniform and the bond of brotherhood that comes from it. I loved this book and will definitely be picking up the next book in the Joe Ledger series.