Breathe - Kristen Ashley

Overview

When the local police department's secrets are revealed and the wife he's forced to marry is murdered, Chace finds himself the town of Carnal's hero. Knowing how deep in the mud he was forced to sink, Chace feels he'll never get clean. The quiet, content future he envisioned of the love a good woman with whom he could build a family was now beyond his reach. The only thing he can do is find his wife's murderer.

But he isn't the only one looking.

While searching for new leads, he runs into Faye Goodknight, the town's quiet, shy, pretty librarian. Chace has long since had his eye on what could possibly be the town's last remaining virgin but he has also long since given up hope he could make her his. Faye is pure and clean and Chace refuses to dirty her with his sordid past.

Pure and clean Faye may be, but when the shy librarian is forced to go head to head with the man who she's had a crush on since he hit her hometown, Chace finds Faye is full of surprises. And he doesn't know what to do with her.

My thoughts

Frak! I loved this book!

It is probably blatantly obvious that I am on a Kristen Ashley kick at the moment, since all of my reviews have been about her books, but you know what? It is the best book marathon I have been on in a long fraking time. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, just in case you missed it last time, but every book I read by Kristen Ashley I feel like is the best book ever. Then she goes and writes the next one and I am blown away. I don’t know how long this can last, but you bet your sweet ass I will be there to witness it.

This book was one hell of a ride! The previous books in this series, especially Lady Luck, have been emotional reads. This one put those ones to shame. I cried my eyes out like a wimp over everything that happened with the kids and the ending was so sweet that I was dabbing tears of joy off of my cheeks.

I loved that the story arch Chase and Misty finally got wrapped up, as well as the Carnal Police Department finally getting set right. There was a lot of healing going on in this book with Chace. He suffered greatly over the years with everything that happened with his ex-wife and thankfully Faye helped him heal those wounds. Not only was Chase healing, but the young boy Malachi and his sister has some major wounds that needed healing too. No joke, it was a tear-jerker at times.

Faye was such a funny character! I don’t know how many times I was laughing at loud at some of the nerdy things that she said.

Mostly because I understood all of the Battlestar Galactica references and they had me in a fit. She is a nerd and instead of poking fun at Faye because of it, Chace fully embraced her dorkiness and made their relationship that much sweeter.

Chace and I got off to a rough start. I understood why he treated Faye the way he did at the beginning of the book, but it doesn’t mean I had to like it. I wanted to bitch-slap that man on an occasion or two! But, after he got over himself and was able to stop fighting the pull of Faye, he was oh-my-god hot! He was super sweet, protective, loving, patient, and in the end stood against the pull of the dark side and gave himself fully to the rebel alliance. Don't even get me started on the sex scenes with Chace. Oh my lord!

One of the things that was different about this book, or that stood out more, was the music references. Faye mentioned many songs and I took the authors suggestion at the beginning of the book, and listened to them during the parts I was reading. It enhanced my reading experience tenfold. I really hope it is something that continues to be weaved into story lines in future books. I’ll finish up this review with a couple of last points. Kristen Ashley is one hell of a writer and can make any scenario believable. Hippies in a town of bikers anyone? I wouldn’t have thought it would work, but it does. This book is not for the faint of heart or for anyone that has not been keeping up with this series. It probably could be read as a standalone, but I don’t suggest it. Lady Luck was particularly important to Chace’s story, so please read that before you give this one a try. If you haven’t already got the message, I highly recommend this book to any Kristen Ashley fan and if you aren’t already, you should seriously get on it.